Telling the Regional Story: The Narratives that Unite and Divide in North Carolina
Thursday October 22, 4:00 p.m.
“Telling Our Regional Story: The Narratives that Unite and Divide in North Carolina,” is based on recommendations of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences report Our Common Purpose: Reinventing American Democracy for the 21st Century from the Academy’s Commission on the Practice of Democratic Citizenship. The recommendation urges conversations to craft new narratives of the American past. The event will connect the UNC and Duke communities, exploring how history informs the present for North Carolinians.
- William Sturkey, Associate Professor of History, UNC Chapel Hill
- John Aldrich, Pfizer-Pratt University Professor of Political Science, Duke University
- Phoebe Stein, President, Federation of State Humanities Council
With welcome remarks by:
- Terry Magnuson, Vice Chancellor for Research, UNC Chapel Hill
- Paula McClain, Dean of the Graduate School and Vice Provost for Graduate Education, Duke University